Wednesday 20 July 2016

Radiation measurement during flight

When I was travelling by plane I tested the radiation detection. On picture below there is DE (orange) and DER (red) graphs from original "Personal Dose Tracker" software from Polimaster. First peak in the graph is x-ray control of hand baggage on Prague airport. The second place with higher radiation is flight. The radiation is higher because of higher cosmic radiation in higher altitudes.


When you press export you will get *.csv file, which you can open in Excel or any other editor.


On the picture below there is DER graph, which was  created with Excel.

The second graph uses logaritmic scale, for showing small changes of DER.




2 comments:

  1. Hello Pavel,
    I know this was four years ago, so maybe you don't use your PM1208M anymore. I appreciate this blog! It is very helpful.
    Question for you: I haven't taken my PM1208M on a plane yet, did you have any problems with getting the detector through security? I would like to do the same experiment you did with dose rate on the plane. Do you have any other advice?
    Best,
    -Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it looks like watch. Also know many people who had normal dosimeter and even particle camera Medipix or Timepix in airplane and nobody had problem with that...

      Delete